I am truly blessed to have a wonderful husband and 4 beautiful children. Our story is not unlike many others, but it is ours to cherish. This is my outlet (my therapy, if you will) and my way to keep those who are interested up-to-date on our journey, especially that of our son Luke who has Down syndrome. I will make it a priority to spread awareness about Down syndrome through this blog and other outlets.


Thursday, February 18, 2010

"The Rock"

Guest blogger here... My apologies in advance to all of Jana's followers. My writing isn't as creative or witty as her writing, but I've pestered her to let me share my thoughts with all of you, so here goes nothing.

The biblical meaning of Peter is "The Rock." I have always taken a certain pride in that and have always tried to live up to that definition of my name. Especially in our marriage, I have always tried to be the strong one for Jana. Through all of the ups and downs we have experienced in the last several years, I was always Jana's rock. That all changed on September 11, 2009.

Since that day, Jana has been my rock. While I have spent a lot of time feeling sorry for myself and questioning God for Luke's diagnosis, Jana has simply said, "We don't have time for that." She has organized therapy after therapy and countless doctors appointments, spoken up on Luke's behalf to get him the best care possible, juggled the needs of Olivia and Jackson, and somehow kept her sanity through it all. I always knew she was an amazing woman, though I never realized just how strong she was until now. The way she has held this family together through the past few months is simply astounding.

Going to work, while difficult in this crazy time in our industry, offers a respite from the reality of Luke's condition and health issues. Knowing this makes what Jana does even more remarkable. She has very little time away from it all. Her work is Luke and getting him better. Her work is juggling Jackson's schedule and making sure our little "Leeva Diva" doesn't feel left out. I am amazed that she gets it all done.

I know that things would be even harder for her if it weren't for some incredible family and friends who have helped us out immensely. I want to thank each of you from the bottom of my heart, especially those who have gone way above and beyond to support us in more ways than one. I can promise you that it makes Jana's day (and mine as well) each and every time someone offers to help watch the kids, comes to visit, calls to check in, or lends a hand in some other way. Many, many thanks to all of you.

Personally, I continue to struggle with the emotional aspect of having a son with special needs. If I had a dime for every time I have said to myself, "This wasn't supposed to happen to me, this wasn't supposed to be my life," I could retire tomorrow. I can say, without a doubt, that this experience has shaken me to the core. However, each and every time my little Lukey smiles at me, I instantly feel better about things. How can I be so sad when he is so happy, especially given all that he's been through already?

Just a few hours before the twins were born, I had a feeling in my heart that my life was perfect: I have my own business (one that somehow made it through the mortgage meltdown these past three years), we were able to purchase another home and finally settle in the area we love so much, my son Jackson couldn't possibly be any more perfect, and my beautiful wife was about to give birth to twins. Everything was perfect! But, as it so often happens in life, once you think you have things all figured out, you get a curve ball that buckles you at your knees...a few simple words ("Your son has Down syndrome.") changes your life forever. I am still a ways off from fully healing from hearing those words, but I know that my family needs the best of me. With the help of my wife and my family, I continue daily to gather the strength needed to become the father that Luke (and, therefore, Jackson and Olivia) needs, to become "The Rock" once again for my family.

2 comments:

  1. Pete,
    Just because you have very real and very human reactions to conditions over which you have no control doesn't make you any less "The Rock". You are blessed to have such a beautiful family and they are so blessed to have YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete, You are such a sweet man! Those kiddos are so lucky to have you and Jana as their parents. I continue to pray for things to get easier for you guys and little Luke!

    ReplyDelete