I am truly blessed to have a wonderful husband and 4 beautiful children. Our story is not unlike many others, but it is ours to cherish. This is my outlet (my therapy, if you will) and my way to keep those who are interested up-to-date on our journey, especially that of our son Luke who has Down syndrome. I will make it a priority to spread awareness about Down syndrome through this blog and other outlets.


Monday, December 13, 2010

Milestones

It's hard to believe that it's been almost exactly one year (December 27) since I sat down to write my first post for this blog.  I remember sitting in this very spot with tears flowing and my heart pounding.  I had so much to say that I almost couldn't type fast enough.  At the time, I wasn't even sure I'd share my writing with anyone.  I just had so much to release, so much to vent, so much to ponder.  I actually wrote several posts before I worked up the courage to share the blog with family and friends, and even with Pete.  He would see me sitting here at the computer for long periods and wonder what I was doing, but I just wasn't ready to share at that point.  The moment I hit "send" I felt such a sense of release and relief.  I have to give another thanks to Maeg for encouraging me to start blogging.  Words can't explain how helpful and therapeutic it's been for me this past year.  It's important to celebrate milestones in life, whether big or small.  Milestones signify how much we've endured, how hard we've worked, and how far we've come...and we certainly have come a long way since I started this blog one year ago!

Once you have children, especially in the beginning, "milestones" become a part of your monthly vocabulary.  What milestones have they hit this month?  What milestones will they hit next month?  Sure, we celebrate those milestones, but we almost take for granted that our children will smile, roll over, sit up, crawl, walk, or talk when they are supposed to.  One of the first things the doctors told us after Luke was born was that he would eventually do all of those things, but that it would just take him longer.  "All you need is just a little patience."

We had Luke's annual review for Early Intervention last week with our coordinator and all of his therapists.  It turned into an emotional meeting as they all discussed his progress and how far he's come, especially in the last 6 months.  As part of their reports, they are required to give numbers and percentages on how delayed he is, which is difficult to hear, but they all reminded us of how much he went through and how far he's come.  As our physical therapist said, most children who suffer from infantile spasms like his literally stop developing, so it's a "miracle from God" that he is where he is now.  He is working so hard on sitting up and is as close as he can be, with just minimal support.
This was in October - the first time he could kind of sit...

Two months later - look how far he's come!
 He is also working hard on bearing weight in his legs.  He "stood" (with support) for 6 minutes the other day!

And little Miss Olivia is working on her milestones as well.  She refuses to walk during physical therapy, but finally did this the other day...on her own will.  We're discovering that that's just how this little one rolls!

And so, we are appreciating all the amazing skills that our kids learn...in their own time.  We are learning not to compare Luke and Olivia just because they are the same age...they are each their own individual.  We are celebrating milestones, big and small, and not taking any accomplishment for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment