| Not pictured: Karen, Luke's hearing therapist |
When Luke first entered the Early Intervention Program shortly after his birth, I talked with several moms to get recommendations for the best therapists. After doing some research, I gathered the names of some of the top pediatric therapists in our area and decided I would do whatever it took to get those therapists on Luke's team. I firmly told our service coordinator at the time, a man I wasn't too fond of as he didn't seem to have Luke's best interest in mind (more about saving the state money and keeping his job), that I wanted these specific therapists. He laughed and said, "Well, that's the 'Dream Team' there. Good luck with that." This made me even more determined than ever. I've never been an aggressive or assertive person, but I learned very early on that I would have to be in order to get the best for Luke. From what I've been told, this becomes even more true once Luke transitions out of Early Intervention and into the school system. I'm ready!
So the service coordinator's comment just added fuel to my fire in my quest to get the best therapists I could for Luke. The Early Intervention system in Illinois is in quite a mess because of the budget crisis, and we had been told many stories of children who had lost good therapists who weren't getting paid by the state, and therefore had change after change in their care. Usually the service coordinators arrange all of the therapists for each family, but I knew this guy wasn't even going to try calling the therapists I wanted. I took matters into my own hands and called each one directly, begging and pleading my case for Luke. Well, it worked and they all agreed to take his case. Here we are now, 18 months later, and I can't thank these individuals enough for the time and energy they have put into Luke's progress (and Olivia's, as she has the same speech and physical therapists as Luke). They have all been there for us through Luke's many health issues, and have worked their hardest to help him progress, despite his setbacks.
Every six months we meet with the team to discuss progress and future goals. Each time we meet, it's amazing to look back at our last meeting and see how far he's come. Thanks to our "Dream Team" for believing in Luke and constantly helping him rise to each new challenge you throw his way!
No comments:
Post a Comment