I am truly blessed to have a wonderful husband and 4 beautiful children. Our story is not unlike many others, but it is ours to cherish. This is my outlet (my therapy, if you will) and my way to keep those who are interested up-to-date on our journey, especially that of our son Luke who has Down syndrome. I will make it a priority to spread awareness about Down syndrome through this blog and other outlets.


Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Celebrating Life

Today is World Down Syndrome Day.  It's March 21, in honor of the extra 21st chromosome that these amazing individuals possess.  I've watched that video many times now and cried like a baby each time.  No, they weren't tears of sadness, but rather tears of joy.  Looking back, I often think about what I would say to myself then, on that very first night after Luke was born.  That night when I did cry tears of sadness, pain, and mostly...fear.  We were so scared then, so unaware of what an incredible blessing had just been bestowed upon us.  I've tried to pinpoint one, or even just a few, words from this video that could summarize what I would say, but it's just too hard.  I honestly can relate to virtually every single one of the comments made by these families.  Today, we celebrate World Down Syndrome Day and the gift of Lukey that has been given to our family.





No comments:

Post a Comment