I've been around kids enough to know that this time was coming: the time when my almost-3-year-old asks "why?" about everything. Ev-er-y-thing! Mommy, why is it called a nectarine? Mommy, why do we have to go potty? Mommy, why are the babies crying? Mommy, why does an apple have a stem? Mommy, why does Daddy have to go to work? Why, why, why?! I find it almost impossible to come up with good answers for him each time and have succumbed to the "just because" answer, just because it's easier. I wonder when the time will come when "just because" isn't enough to satisfy Jackson's growing curiosity. However, I love watching that curiosity grow exponentially on a daily basis. I just worry about the tougher questions that will surely arise as he gets older and his questions become deeper. I might be pulling out the "go ask your Daddy" card...just because it's easier. The other day, as Jackson admired his new Doodle Pro adorned with sports balls, he said, "Mommy, why did the Easter Bunny give this to me?" After I tried to explain that the Easter Bunny likes to bring special treats to good girls and boys, he said, "The Easter Bunny sure does like me!" Ahh, the sweet innocence of little ones.
Perhaps the question I most anticipate is the one when Jackson (or Olivia) asks why Luke has Down syndrome. Of course there are children's books on this subject, some of which we've already read to Jackson. But those books, with their creative stories and beautiful pictures, won't be able to really help us answer that question. Why does Luke have Down syndrome? I don't know that I can answer that, but what I can tell him is that sweet Luke was put into our lives for a reason. While we might not always be in a clear enough frame of mind to see the reason behind his diagnosis or his subsequent health problems, there is a purpose.
Pete recently read an interesting book that discussed how people always tend to ask God "why?" when something unexpected happens. Or how oftentimes people project their sadness or anger at God, when He doesn't really make these things happen to people. God doesn't choose who should get cancer, who should be in a terrible car accident, or who should have Down syndrome. But He (or whichever higher power you believe in) is there to support you when those things do happen. So when Pete and I are in a moment of asking ourselves that very question I know will come from Jackson and Olivia one day, I have to remind myself that there really is no definitive answer. Luke will teach us many things; he will help us grow and learn in ways we never thought possible; we will love him so much it hurts. When I watch Jackson interact with Luke and love him unconditionally, I realize that the "why" doesn't really even matter, does it?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And a few additional pictures just for fun. (Mrs. DeLisa, ask and you shall receive!)...
No comments:
Post a Comment