I remember hearing about the National Down Syndrome Society's Buddy Walk last year just after Luke and Olivia were born. The walk was scheduled for October 11, 2009...exactly three days after my actual due date, exactly one month from when Luke and Olivia were born, and exactly three days after Luke's first major surgery, of which he was still struggling and in the hospital for at that point. At the time, I remember thinking, I'm not sure when I'll be ready for an event like that.
Cut to almost one year later and I am eagerly anticipating the Buddy Walk, which will take place on October 10th. I am obsessed with figuring out how I can adorn our team with "Luke's Loyal Fans" gear for the walk...t-shirts, buttons, signs, oh my! So, walkers, be prepared! I can't say thank you enough to everyone for the generous donations and to those who are able and willing to take time out of your busy schedules to walk with us in support of Luke. Our original fundraising goal was $1500, and to date, our team has raised more than $3000! This money will go towards valuable and necessary education, research, and programs to improve the lives of individuals with Down syndrome. Check out our team website here if you have not already done so. Thank you again and again for your support!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On another note, August has been a great month for Luke. He is handling the g-tube feedings well and is gaining strength now that he is more medically stable. He even sat up on his own, with a little help from Elmo, for a few seconds last week during physical therapy. Yes, there were tears by all (and even Luke, but he powered through!)...
And Miss Olivia just started doing this a couple of weeks ago (= trouble!)...

No comments:
Post a Comment