I am truly blessed to have a wonderful husband and 4 beautiful children. Our story is not unlike many others, but it is ours to cherish. This is my outlet (my therapy, if you will) and my way to keep those who are interested up-to-date on our journey, especially that of our son Luke who has Down syndrome. I will make it a priority to spread awareness about Down syndrome through this blog and other outlets.


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September

September has always been my favorite month, next to May, of course, for Jackson's birthday.  There are so many things I love about it:  my birthday, our wedding anniversary (10 years this year), football season (yes, I actually said that), the change in weather from hot and muggy to cool and crisp, shopping for Halloween costumes, jeans and sweaters, and on and on.  While it always amazes me each year how early some stores start putting out Christmas items (I already saw a Christmas aisle in a store last week), I do love that subtle reminder that the holidays are approaching.  Now, Luke and Olivia's birthday gives me another reason to love this month.

There is a calendar created each year by Gigi's Playhouse, a non-profit organization focused on national awareness for Down syndrome.  Each month's page features beautiful pictures of children with Down syndrome, including a Mother Teresa quote and various quotes by the children themselves.  As I turned my calendar from August to September today, I thought the quotes for the month seemed appropriate in so many ways:

"Life is a challenge, meet it."  Mother Teresa
"Our mommies say that we have a strength that knows no limits."  Mia and Lorenza
As I think back on this past year, I would say that we not only met the challenges that were thrown our way, but we beat them to a pulp!  And to say that Luke has a strength without limits would be a mild understatement. 

We will have a lot to celebrate in this favorite month of mine as Luke and Olivia turn one year old.  If only Earth Wind and Fire could change the lyrics of a favorite tune of mine to...
"Do you remember the 11th night of September?  ...chasing the clouds away."  Time for some dancin' in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment