I've never really been one to make New Year's resolutions because, like many, I can never keep them. I do, however, love the idea of a fresh start. You can wrap up all the good memories of the past year and toss out the bad ones. You can reflect on the ways you have changed in the past year and use that to enhance and further your growth in the coming year.
One of the things I loved about being a teacher was getting a fresh start with each new school year. I always went back to school in August feeling rejuvenated, renewed, and ready to roll. Unlike many jobs that just keep going and going, teachers get that much needed break between each new school year. Similarly, with the start of 2011, I feel that sense of rejuvenation. I feel ready to roll in 2011, and I feel like I'm starting this year off in a much stronger way than 2010. Last New Year's, we hadn't even experienced much of what was to come with Luke and his medical issues, but I just felt it coming. Somehow I knew that we hadn't gotten through the worst of things for him. It was just a feeling I had. Call it mother's intuition or whatever you want, but I knew. Feeling so nervous and pessimistic just wasn't a good way to start the year off.
This year is different. I feel there is so much to look forward to in 2011. My sister will get married, Jackson will turn 4, Pete and I will celebrate 15 years together, Luke and Olivia will turn 2, and, God willing, we won't spend what felt like half the year in the hospital. The last two summers were ones I'd rather forget, with my bed rest in 2009 and then Luke's scary seizure disorders and miserable time on the steroid treatment this past summer, so I'm also looking forward to all the happy memories that summer can bring.
Yep, I'm ready for a fresh start. Bring it on, 2011! Happy New Year!
No comments:
Post a Comment