I am truly blessed to have a wonderful husband and 4 beautiful children. Our story is not unlike many others, but it is ours to cherish. This is my outlet (my therapy, if you will) and my way to keep those who are interested up-to-date on our journey, especially that of our son Luke who has Down syndrome. I will make it a priority to spread awareness about Down syndrome through this blog and other outlets.


Saturday, January 9, 2010

All you need is just a little patience

I used to love that song back in the day. Little did I know, until now, what significance that word - patience - would have on my life. We have come to truly learn the art of patience over the last few months. Waiting for test results, waiting for doctors, waiting to get out of the hospital, just constantly waiting. I think I am a fairly patient person. After all, I have taught 30 second graders and 30+ fifth graders with no aide...AND I have a 2 1/2-year old! But I have grown tired of waiting. We are still waiting for the biopsy results from Wednesday. We saw the ENT doctor and audiologist on Thursday, but will have to have Luke's hearing tested again in a few weeks. More waiting. We are still waiting to see the doctor at Children's until she receives all of Luke's pathology and operative reports from University of Chicago. As I told our Early Intervention Coordinator, I am normally not an aggressive person but have become one on behalf of my son. I will fight for him and I will be his advocate no matter what it takes.

Luke started physical therapy on Friday, which went really well. He was exhausted by the end of the hour. His physical therapist, who I fought to get because of his experience with Down syndrome, told me what we've been told at least a dozen times so far. Luke will eventually learn to sit up, crawl, walk, talk, but it will take him longer. All we need is just a little patience. Luke, for you buddy, I will master the art of patience and I will wait as long as I have to, cheering you on all the while.

No comments:

Post a Comment