I am truly blessed to have a wonderful husband and 4 beautiful children. Our story is not unlike many others, but it is ours to cherish. This is my outlet (my therapy, if you will) and my way to keep those who are interested up-to-date on our journey, especially that of our son Luke who has Down syndrome. I will make it a priority to spread awareness about Down syndrome through this blog and other outlets.


Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Jackson and Olivia



I'm constantly feeling so torn and guilty that so much of our time is consumed with Luke's health issues these days. I need to give 100% to Jackson and Olivia, but Luke needs a little extra. Again, I just try to do the best I can do and lean on great family and friends to fill in the void, which they've done over and over. Most of my posts thus far have revolved around updates on Luke and his little journey. Here's an update about his big brother and baby sister (by 1 minute)...

Jackson is a little over 2 1/2 years old now and is such a little piece of sunshine. Once I was put on bed rest, he went from having major separation anxiety (which he'd had since 6 months of age!), to being this mature, adaptable child. The first week or so was really tough on him as he didn't want to leave my side in bed, but then he was just used to it and knew exactly where to find me at all times. I so looked forward to our little playtime, though not easy while lying down in bed! Many days we would set up the TV tray on the bed and he'd eat lunch next to me, just happy as could be. He adapted so well to many different people taking care of him (Chuck and Paula, Nick and Val, Ellen, Anna, Mike and Sue, etc.), and it broke my heart to watch him grow and learn new things without me. Since Luke and Olivia have arrived, he's been that same mature, adaptable child I saw over the summer. It's amazing when they are screaming crying and it literally doesn't even phase Jackson. He's so incredibly helpful and loving with them. I know that might change when they get a little older and want to steal his toys, but for now we are enjoying the fact that he absolutely loves being a big brother. The kid is crazy funny and makes me laugh all the time! He LOVES dancing, singing, any kind of sports (but especially football, of course), playing his drum and guitar, cuddling, Handy Manny, Diego, tools, and tackling! He just started potty training and wore big boy underwear for the first time yesterday afternoon. Love, love, love this age, tantrums and all!

Olivia is known in our household as "Leeva Diva" because she certainly is a little princess already! Jackson has a hard time saying "Olivia" so it comes out as "Leeva" which has become her unofficial nickname. She has become quite social in the last few weeks and gives the biggest, gummy grins you've ever seen. Last night she even laughed aloud for the first time with Aunt Jodi. When she gets mad though, watch out! Her arms get going wildly until you hold her closely, after which she immediately calms down. I still say my sister Julie created our little princess because she almost never put her down the entire time she was here visiting while Luke was still in the NICU. I must admit, though, it is hard to put her down because she's such a little snuggle bug. Olivia was evaluated as well by Easter Seals through the neo-natal follow-up clinic for therapies because she was premature, but she passed with flying colors and won't need any at this time. Thank goodness!

2 comments:

  1. Nathan is looking over my shoulder and just saw Olivia's photo--he asked who it was. When I told him it was Baby Olivia, he said, "WOW! She doesn't look the same any more!" And it's only been a few weeks since he saw her...they change so quickly! You have three beautiful babies, Jana :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meant to put my comment here...that I agree, I too love this age.

    ReplyDelete