I am truly blessed to have a wonderful husband and 4 beautiful children. Our story is not unlike many others, but it is ours to cherish. This is my outlet (my therapy, if you will) and my way to keep those who are interested up-to-date on our journey, especially that of our son Luke who has Down syndrome. I will make it a priority to spread awareness about Down syndrome through this blog and other outlets.
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
It can always be worse
Believe me, this fact is not lost on me in any way. There are days, such as this morning when Luke worked so hard to take down his entire bottle and then vomited all over the place, when I am sad, upset, and just pissed off for HIM. But I remind myself each day that it could be worse. The last two schools I worked in had special education programs for severely disabled children, some of whom will likely never walk or talk. Before, I might have passed those children in the hallways, given a sympathetic smile, and walked on by just going on with my day. Now, however, I think about those children, their parents, their siblings, and their futures in a much deeper way. This is just one of the ways in which Luke has made me a better person already. I believe in most, but certainly not all, life situations one can always think of a worse scenario. I've always done this as a way of coping with various situations. Or, perhaps, it was my way of avoiding dealing with things. In any case, I use that thought now to help keep things in perspective. Though our situation is tough because it's happening to our baby, our child, I do know that it can always be worse.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
WOW! I wholeheartedly agree with you about Luke teaching us things already - and he's only 4 months old! We were waiting in the Emergency Room with Chuck's Dad on Sunday and I saw a young man with DS also in the ER waiting area. In the past, I might have looked away and been uncomfortable, not wanting him to think I was staring at him. But on Sunday I smiled at him and he smiled back -just a brief visual encounter that I think made both of us feel a little better. Just a little more compassion, a little more human interaction. One step at a time. I know it's just a small step for me, but I am so looking forward to all the other things that our Luke will be teaching me!
ReplyDelete