Today is just one of those days. We all have them. You know those days when you just can't seem to get it together, no matter how hard you try? As Pete left for work this morning I wanted to join Jackson in chorus as he tearfully said, "Don't go, Daddy!" I've always been an organized person. Okay, type-A, slightly OCD, would be a more accurate description. When we found out we were having twins, I thought, if anyone can handle twins plus a toddler, it's me! I always swore my child would not turn into a "TV zombie" watching some silly show mindlessly for hours on end. Well, Handy Manny and Diego have become my new best friends. At least it keeps him from saying, "Mommy, can you play with me now?" over and over, which breaks my heart, as I run around the house trying to get a million things done - feed babies, change babies, put babies to sleep, pump milk for babies, change laundry, or take an occasional shower - in the 20-minute, 1-episode-at-a-time limit I try to enforce. Emphasis on try!
Luke's nutrition specialist started yesterday, speech therapy today (more homework for us!), and physical therapy again tomorrow. Developmental therapy starts next week, and our occupational therapist called today to set up Luke's first OT eval. The "add contact" button on my phone sure has been working overtime lately. We had our appointment with Dr. Liu yesterday to discuss next steps after the biopsy results, but more update on that later. Our appointment with the head of pediatric surgery at Children's for the second opinion regarding the Hirschsprung's is scheduled for the 29th of this month. Next week we see the cardiologist and are hoping (fingers crossed!) to be released from his care after that.
Just as I start to feel incredibly overwhelmed with our everyday life, I turn off "Handy Manny" and catch just 5 quick minutes of the news. I see the utter devastation in Haiti and say to myself, "Get a grip, Jana, get a grip." It can always be worse.
Thanks for reminding us, Jana, that we should ALL get a grip....self pity is not very attractive and we all 'go there' at times. I just forwarded your blog (again) to a few people I think are feeling a bit like Life is overwhelming...they can read about your day...then think about Haiti.
ReplyDeleteI think you may have more of a "grip" than you think. We all admire you Jana and you should be proud that you have a friend in Manny... "aka" Fez! Your friends and family support you good days and bad, even when things may not be worse :)
ReplyDeleteJana-you are so like me, it's not even funny. Organized and OCD. I have it too. However, you have to remember that is okat to let go of that every now and then. You know me...I used to freak out if someone moved my picture frame the wrong way on a table. I am so much better now. I don't "freak" out if the kids rooms are a mess, if they wear something that doesn't match or if they don't even want to brush their hair. I got a "grip" Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. Kids grow up too fast. Cherish the time while you can and why you have it with all of your kids. You are so lucky that you can stay home with them. I remember the first time I had to take all 3 of them to a babysitter, now they look forward to having one. You are a great Mom and always will be. I have been there to some extent with have 3 at once. It's hard and will get harder, but I did it and so can you!!!
ReplyDelete